Out Astoria is operated by a steering committee composed of 11 sponsor members of Out Astoria who are elected by their peers for three-year terms. These three-year terms are staggered so that roughly one third of the steering committee membership is up for election each year.
Elections are held the second week of January, over a two-day period, through a secure online voting system that is accessible only to sponsor members. Any sponsor member of Out Astoria whose dues are currently paid up is eligible to run and vote in the election. The election process is overseen by an elections committee appointed by Out Astoria’s President.
To run in an election, sponsor members can either self-nominate or be nominated by another sponsor member. Nominees for the steering committee must be vetted by a designated elections committee member to be listed on a ballot for election. Vetting includes making sure that nominee understands steering committee responsibilities and election rules and is currently a sponsor member.
- December 4 – Ballot opens for nominations
- January 3 – Ballot closes to new candidates (5:00 PM)
- January 4 – 500-character candidate statements/photos due (12:00 PM)
- January 7 – E-mail sent to all OA sponsor members with voting information
- January 8-10 – Electronic voting (opens Jan. 8 at midnight/closes Jan. 10 at 9:00 PM)
- January 10 – Winners contacted by phone
- January 11 – Election results emailed to all OA voting members
- Week of January 13 – New 2013 OA Steering Committee meets to elect its officers.
Nominations or elections questions may be sent to Out Astoria here.
The members of the steering committee who serve as Out Astoria’s officers–President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Coordinators for events, public relations, membership, and business outreach–serve one-year terms and are elected by the full steering committee, including all newly elected members, at its first meeting after elections.